Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Witches, Aubie Door, and Geometry

Wow! What a day! I can't believe it is only Monday. Apparently it must be the weather because my little munchkins were quite talkative. Last week, we began a fun little unit based on the story, Room on the Broom (created by http://lifeinfirstgrade1.blogspot.com/).We made theses super cute witches after we read the story. Before the story we made predictions of whether or not the witch was good or bad. Most of them predicted bad and found out she was a nice witch by letting all the animals ride her broom. It has a great theme and taught my students many lessons! We also labeled a witch and tomorrow will take the comprehension quiz.





This is Red Ribbon Week and you can tell by all the hyper activity against drugs! At my school, we have a door competition and they are all so cute! I transferred schools and so this is my first year of this competition. Of course, when it is a competition, I get very competitive and had my mom help me. She came up with an Aubie theme and helped me with my door. She created a light up scoreboard with a hand drawn Aubie. I had the kids write on the footballs about what they wanted to be when they grew up and how it was important to stay drug free.




We've started our Unit in Geometry and I'm so excited! Right now we're exploring 2-D shapes and learning the details of each shape, how they're formed, and how to combine them to make other shapes. Plus we're learning lots morning. My munchkins had a blast today with learning a new math station, Pattern Block Fill-Ins. It is nice to take a break from addition. They have been doing really well in that category and will continue practicing in a math station. They do look so sweet, but don't let them fool you, kidding! I wouldn't trade my class for the world! We click quite well...well lately it has been a lot of tattling...





Have a great week! War Eagle!

No comments:

Post a Comment