Friday, September 9, 2011

The Life through the eyes of a First Grader Part 1

Life is quite interesting through a first grader's mind. The process is slow when it comes to learning but the comments, excitement, and stories are quite entertaining. I wish we had more time for them just to talk and tell me stories, and I may just have to make time for that because they need to express their feelings and thoughts too.

The more I teach first grade the more I realize just how much I am enjoying it! Yes, it is like starting over and yes they are blank minds, but I get to watch their minds grow! I'm so excited and love how they are already growing and remembering procedures (well, most of the time). You never thought taking your shoes off would be such a great reward for teamwork! These little firsties always make me laugh and smile! Hey, otherwise, I'd go insane.

These are the HIGHLIGHTS of this week in first grade:

Weekly Event 1:
My little student that I love so much because I say her name more than anyone else in the classroom comes running out of the bathroom. "Ms. Adams the water in the toilet is coming up," as she is moving her hands in a swirling motion, "and it won't stop. It keeps coming and coming. It is going to blow up the WHOLE SCHOOL!!!" Then she throws her hands up in the air really dramatically.
"Darling, the school isn't going to blow up," I say.
"Yes it is!!"
"No it isn't. Now get in line."
"Yes it is!!" She is determined that she is correct in this serious matter.
"Well, we'll be the first to know what happens in case the school blows up. Now let's get in line."

Weekly Event 2:
We're sitting in small group for reading intervention that I like to call Tier 287 but love first grade because it is mostly small groups! Well, I had two little boys who were in a deep conversation on the way to the table. As they sat down, one said, "Ms. Adams, so and so says that he caught a chicken last night for supper."
"Let's go over our high-frequency words. Wait a minute, what happened last night?"
"I caught a chicken for dinner. I was the only one that could catch it."
"Does your family have chickens?"
"No."
"Did you steal a neighbor's chicken?"
"No, they just run wild in the neighborhood."
"Oh, and what happened after you caught the chicken?"
"My dad chopped his head off!"
"Wow! Who took the feathers off?"
"My dad and he took all the guts out of it too!"
"Did your mom bake it or fry it?"
"She baked it. We had chicken and dumplings!"
"Yum...now are you telling me the truth?"
"Yes m'am!"
"Now what if I called your momma? Would she tell me the same story?"
"Yes m'am!"
"Oh well, okay, sounds like a fun night! Now let's get back to work." My sweet kids.

I thought third grade was entertaining but first has taken over with the entertainment factor. These darlings tell all and hold nothing back! I have a "wild safari" class but I wouldn't trade any of them! We've all bonded and are forming quite a classroom community. Now if only the tattling will stop...

Have a great weekend! War Eagle!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading what all they say. Makes me nervous about Trevor talking more. :) I sure wish he could have you as a teacher! Glad you are enjoying it so much.

    ReplyDelete